This week I had a hard time deciding which ethics story was more concerning – organ harvesting or fake diversity. Read on and let me know what you think…
- Mass bill would allow inmates to swap organs for less prison time – I read this, and I immediately clicked through as I asked myself WTH?!? This is one of those clear-cut cases when we ask – what were they thinking? It is a clear violation of the ethical principle of autonomy. I *can* think of a few ways to argue for it, but those reasons would make me a person I do not want to be.
- Should companies post fake diverse imagery if they are not diverse – This article in PR News also stuck a visceral cord with me. The examples in the article go beyond over-indexing, like was shared by JP Canton in a 2020 EthicalVoices interview. It involves using a picture of a Black woman for your white CEO. The mind boggles – but there is an interesting debate on how aspirational images may be.
- Ethics and the AI Arms race – The developments in AI are coming faster than the internet explosion of the mid-90s. Axios asks if, in the race for speed, ethics may be the first thing to fall by the wayside?
- How to Conduct PR Research Ethically – Marcia DiStaso - November 20, 2023
- This Week in PR Ethics (11/2/23): AI Risks, AI Biases, and Bird Ethics - November 2, 2023
- What should you do when you think you received an unlawful order? Dave Honchul - October 30, 2023